I've often read about putting babies on a schedule. Although I believe I'm a bit overdue, I figured it was time to implement a schedule for Khalil. This especially became a reality when he decided to become cranky around bedtime. So for the past three nights we've been giving him a bath with the lavender baby wash. He screams the entire time he is being bathe, dried, and dressed. In the end he eats and falls to sleep. I truly believe he falls to sleep from the exhaustion of screaming. I kind of doubt that he is just so relaxed and soothes himself to sleep from the lavender scents, although I wish this were the case. His screams are something awful. Regardless of how I try to acclimate him to the water by slowly wetting his body, by the end he is full out screaming. Tonight I tried skipping the bath and just doing the feeding and singing. Afterwards I swaddled him and laid him in the bed. He laid there for 15 minutes before he decided to scream. Here I was thinking I had found the solution to a peaceful night. According to Moms on Call, I was supposed to let him cry it out for 5 minutes. I did that and then took him a pacifier. Well of course he sucked it for about 2 minutes and started crying again. This time I was supposed to let him cry for 6 minutes. They recommend you repeat this process until the baby soothes himself to sleep. Well needless to say, Doug couldn't take it anymore. He went and got him. "We'll try again tomorrow," was his response. I know if I was listening I would have had a hard time too. I turned down the baby monitor and started shredding a bunch of papers while listening to the TV so I was able to tune it out more than he was. I guess we are better off letting him scream through a bath. At least we only have to hear it for 10 minutes total that way. I wish he would just go to sleep when he is tired. I really don't want to try this "cry it out" method. I am not sure my heart can take it. Unfortunately he wouldn't lay down for a nap today either so I feel like I'm not going to have much choice. I'm sure there will be more to come to this story.

He starts off like this. He's looking at me like, "What are you doing Mommy?"
This is the small fit just to let me know it's coming.
And then it comes!! Full force screaming for dear life. Note: eyes closed
And it continues, although he is no longer in the tub. He wants me to know he still did not like it.
And when it's all done. He's ready for bed. Now who knew he was so capable of all that screaming. Doesn't he look so adorable and innocent?
Oh my how I remember those days! Knox HATED the water and we had to bathe him super fast and get him dressed so he would stop. It will get easier, I promise. Before you know it, Khalil will be splish splashing away in the bath tub like a big boy, and you won't remember these days. Also, crying it out is hard, but it doesn't take long and he will be able to put himself to sleep. I know it's rough, but you will be so thankful you did it in the end. Hang in there! I know you're doing great!
ReplyDelete