A few weeks ago I ran through a little spell of low milk supply in the evening. So naturally I gave Khalil formula to supplement. He is so funny. He would look at me like, "Where is the real stuff Mom?" But he would drink it just fine. About a week later it happened again and he started throwing it up after he drank it. I mean every time. I had to do something to make sure my supply stopped getting so low in the evening. I went to the breastfeeding support group and got some advise. It was suggested that I drink Lemon Lime Gatorade/Powerade, take Fenugreek, and get naps if possible to help my supply last through the evenings. She also suggested that I supplement him with my breast milk instead of formula. Honestly I am saving my milk for the big return to work. After I started doing all of these things, my supply has picked back up and I'm even able to pump a little extra for freezing. But out of curiosity, yesterday I decided to give Khalil two ounces of formula just to see what happened. He sucked the bottle once or twice and literally started gagging. It seemed to be on purpose. So then I put the bottle with breast milk in his mouth. He sucked a couple of times, smacked his lips to taste, looked at me as if to say, "Thanks for the read deal. Stop trying to fool me" and resumed sucking. I was totally laughing at him. He knows what he likes. All of this to say I do hope pumping works out for me at work. I almost feel like it has to or he won't have anything to eat. I feel such pressure knowing he only wants breast milk and now I have to "perform". Good thing I already have a supply built up that can carry him until I get some more. I am ahead in the game. Thank God.
Other news is he is smiling a lot. When we make funny noises and sounds he just smiles away. When I get the camera and say, "Smile for Mommy!" he actually does it. He doesn't do it every time but he has done it often. Here is the latest picture of him doing it.
 |
| "Smile for Mommy!" |
What a cutie! I did those tricks you told me about and it seemed to work for me too! I believe I have built my supply back up. Also, I was told if I did have to supplement and didn't have enough breastmilk in reserve for an entire feeding then I could mix breastmilk with the formula. I have had to do this a couple of times and Sawyer doesn't seem to have a problem with formula. I have yet to give her a bottle of just straight formula because I am afraid she might spit it all up or it will upset her stomach.
ReplyDelete